Monday, December 24, 2007

Back from Mauritius in time for Christmas!!


Hello everyone! So Mauritius, eh? Ah! Fantastic! Indescribable exactly, the scenery, the beautiful pearly beaches, all the languages and the rich smells and flavours!


Several cultures live together in harmony, from Indians, Chinese, Africans, French and many others. Everyone speaks French, English and Creole. Creole shocked me. It was the first time I actually heard it. It is very similar to French but triple the speed. And I thought French people spoke fast, wait until you hear the Creole language!


Mauritius ' economy is based on textiles, tourism, sugar and services. The capital is Port Louis and it used to be the home of the extinct bird "the Dodo". This island is in the middle of the ocean so you can imagine how crystal clear and clean the waters are. The greatest thing of it all is that the island is surrounded by a coral reef which prevents fish from coming in. The currents are too strong by the reef that big fish are not able to go through. So in fact you would be swimming in Mauritian waters and feel like you are in a lagoon. No waves, no predators and no pollution. I am telling you, it is paradise. By the way, did I mention that they have the biggest predators outside that barrier reef, you pass that large wall of corals and you would be dealing with mammoths of sharks, huge mackos, tigers and hammer heads.


We stayed on the West coast in a town called Flic en Flac. We rented a car for a few days and explored the North, the South and the West.


We saved the best for last. We decided to explore the East by sailing. So off we went on a catamaran to the island of "Trou aux Cerfs", we snorkeled and saw lots of colourful fish and corals. Michael and I saw for the first time a Picasso trigger fish which is a very colourful fish. We also had a beach barbecue. People were very friendly and we even danced a bit on the boat to the music of the island.


Michael managed to ship his kite surfing equipment with us to the island, the conditions were great and sometimes even too much. The wind was so strong which prevented him from surfing. I took a great picture of him kite surfing under a rainbow.

Being healthily and heavily pregnant, in my 27 weeks, I managed to walk a lot, to snorkel, to kayak, to sail small and large catamarans, to join the aqua gym classes and to sit back, relax and enjoy the sun!

I recommend Mauritius to anyone with a sense of adventure and I wish you all a very Merry Christmas! Big Kisses!! Got to go, I have a date with Santa tonight and I need to get ready and pretty!

4 Comments:

Blogger The Ego said...

Hey... hope you had a great Christmas :)

11:23 pm  
Blogger Sandie said...

Thank you D, you too! Wish you all the happiness and love in the world...

10:07 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute you pay to my island!:) Yes, creole is pretty fast, but French people usually get most of it, it's heavily french-based as you say.

6:38 pm  
Blogger Sandie said...

Thank you Island Girl for your compliment. I consider myself an average writer but my family and friends love my writing. They say it is genuine and comes from the heart. Have fun this new year!

11:30 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home