Saturday, September 03, 2011

Becoming a Trilingual:

I made up my mind! This is it. Skye should learn Arabic. I see it so clearly now. At first, I was very hesitant. Michael only speaks to her in English ( even though he speaks German). The language in the community is English and I speak to her in French since she was born. So her French is quite good now. She understands everything I say to her in French, even though she is stubborn and only replies in English. But now, I think we are ready for Arabic. I think I will introduce it to her slowly. Maybe speak to her on the weekends in Arabic and find some cartoons or read some books to her. She will be exposed to it more once we visit my family in Lebanon and she also hears me speaking to my family in Arabic...Let's see.

If anyone has any idea on how to teach a child 2 languages at the same time through one parent, please let me know.The one-parent-one language- rule does not apply to me. Michael speaks to her in English. I speak to her in French. And Arabic? Weekends...maybe. Not sure. So, any advice would be appreciated. The search on the internet was not very successful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home