Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Trip to Memory Lane:


In Lebanon, we call our grandmothers "Teta". Well my Teta is very ill and I need to see her. It has been a while. She is an amazing woman who raised five kids on her own because my grandfather died of a stroke long time ago.

She invented the word multitasking. She knits wool jumpers with complexed designs while entertaining her grand kids with her fairy tales.

Sunday is always her day. All the family gathers around at her place to prepare a feast a la Libanaise which means a five hour meal between the cigarette breaks, the Arak and the chatting to catch up on the week's events.

My teta's house is in the forest and sometimes you feel like little red riding hood. When I slept there, I used to hear the wolves tiptoeing on the ground floor balcony tiles. They would have never ventured if our dog was still alive. It is an insult to him.

I am looking forward to this trip to Lebanon to meet all my friends and family, going to Jounieh bay and swimming in the Olympic sea water pool, go to the basket ball court on the beach where on a windy day the waves would spray the players and everyone would laugh. And there has to be a stop over to my favourite fruit cocktail place "Cafe Tony" with his big size mugs full of fresh fruits topped with fresh cream and honey, yummy! I will be staying in my old room like a teenager again. It will be fun.

Unfortunately, Michael has to work and I am going alone. But it is only for 10 days after all and yet it has been 3 years I last visited my hometown. I don't even know what to expect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home